20/04/2026 - 06/08/2026 / Week 1 - Week 16
Brenda Wynn / 0372128
Games Development / Bachelors of Design (Hons) in Creative Media / Taylor's University
Project
JUMP LINKS
INSTRUCTIONS
<iframe
src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZIZMpYPeFAKYSMMebyCPwDrbzddTebv-/preview"
width="640" height="480"></iframe>
PROJECT
During the first week of class, Ron briefed us on what we will be doing in
the module and what the outcome will be. He also shared some published
games that we can use as reference for our own. We decided to either work
individually or in groups during class. I have decided on joining a group
where we decided on the leader first.
On the second week, we consulted Ron about the idea but the feedback was
not as positive as we thought so we decided to think about a new idea.
However, during the end of week 2, I have decided to work individually due
to my personal decisions. Myself and my previous group did not have any
problems and we parted peacefully.
After I separated from the group, I came up with 2 new ideas for my game.
I did ask AI (Gemini) to give me some examples to help me get a better
idea on what I wanted to create and what is expected. After I got an idea
on what I wanted to create, I asked AI to see whether my idea is concrete
and actually good. These are the ideas I came up with:
1. HANDOVER
Mental health focus: Parentification
Focuses on the first-child burden of carrying the family's expectation
and prioritizing others before themselves.
Game Mechanics:
It would work like "THE SIMS" game, utilizing 3D humans and environment.
However, the HANDOVER game will be mainly viewed from a 3rd person view
since there will be shapes behind the main character to show the burden
he carries. The goal of the game is to match the burden and description
to the other party through small conversations, and hand over their
burden back. The suffocating/internal feeling will be shown through
darkening the screen, etc. As the game progresses and the burden
lessens, the screen will be much brighter.
2. ALWAYS A SUNNY SHORE
Mental health focus: Executive Dysfunction
Focuses on having the main character learn to finish a task one-by-one
and preventing procrastination. Several affirmations will be used
throughout the game to maintain the player's calm demeanor.
Game Mechanics:
It's a 2D game that will give certain tasks to the player which plays a
role as a lighthouse keeper. If the player fails to do the task and
chooses to put the task aside, their working speed will be decreased as
more work piles up. However, if the player fails but chooses to finish
and try to complete the task again, an NPC will show some affirmations
to let them know that they are ok subtly. There will be other elements
to portray the internal feeling of the players, such as the weather,
etc.
After consulting with Ron, I decided to continue forward with the second
idea. These are the references that I used to help guide me through the
design process:
Art Direction
Spatial Presentation Style
Before I started creating the digital version, I sketched some logo ideas
before finalizing on one.
After finalizing how I want my logo to look like, I started on creating my
logo digitally. I created it on IbisPaint and gave it some color.
Final Logo Result:
To finalize my idea, I explored more about Executive Dysfunction and did
some research. I also did some research on what a lighthouse keeper
typically do in their job. These are the results of my research:
Research Paper 1
Research Paper 2
Lighthouse, Lighthouse Keeper, and Executive Dysfunction
Once I was done with the logo, I decided to make a mind map to finalize my
game mechanism, story, and idea. This is the mind map and game flow I
created:
After I finalized my idea, I started on creating my assets. I received
assistance from AI (Gemini) since I am not that knowledgeable in 3D
modelling.
I also compiled the animation sketch frames for both the introduction and
outro animation in After Effects. I then started on creating my game in
Godot after preparing all the assets I needed. The first thing I did
was to set the introduction animation as the starting point and as the scene
that the players will be greeted with.
Then I started building and setting up the different places (island, house,
and tower). I also placed the Collision3DShape to trigger the player to
entering another place. As for the tower, I added a thin surface to resemble
the ocean surface.
During the preview, I noticed that the player cannot spawn correctly and
asks assistance from AI (Gemini) and I got some feedback that the problem
could be the position of the player. I fixed it, tested it, and the player
spawned on the island after the intro animation ended.
Now that I have figured out the problem, I started on tackling the floor on
each place since the player kept falling out of the world.
*The game used in the presentation is the preview from Godot to provide a much
clearer view and smoother experience*
GAME ASSET MANIFEST
PROTOTYPING DOCUMENT
GAME DESIGN DOCUMENT (GDD)
FINAL GAME
Access the game through your web browser through these links below:
or
FEEDBACK
Week 4
Ron advised me to choose the idea that I was more interested in. He also
thought that the second idea (Always a Sunny Shore) that I chose was a good
choice since not many covered Executive Dysfunction as their main focus.
Week 5
Ron shared that it's better to finalize the idea and mechanics first to
decide whether first or third perspective fits the game better. He also
shared that adding fun facts about lighthouses as the game progresses would
be better is it was explained through different methods. He recommended that
I explained the goal of the game using lighthouse terms/facts, or explaining
mental health terms using lighthouse facts so it seamlessly fits in the
game. He also told me that the choice of title, when both names are aligned
with the game, one of them could be used as a subtitle instead. He advised
me to make the game by following my flow on what fits me better, could be
either asset creation first before creating the game or the lather. Lastly,
he also told me that the NPCs would be a good addition to the game so that
it is not too monotonous.
REFLECTION
From this module I have gained a lot of new experiences. I learnt a bit on
how to use a 3D software, I studied how game features are purposely placed
in a certain position on an interface, and I have learnt how to create an
actual working game. The process was not easy but it was quite satisfying to
see that I was actually able to create something I would have thought to be
impossible. I have seen some of my peers works and it was interesting to
find out what different ideas we came up with. Throughout the period of this
module, I have learnt a lot about games, especially in creating one. I am
grateful that I was able to gain a new experience and if possible, I would
like to continue developing my game to be better.
RESOURCES
https://share.google/PFnI01BFhCIwjYgMc
https://share.google/4cDVz6wo18H8nkd4q
https://share.google/b2tbdByFpusFf2prI
https://share.google/ZEPSKr0LdD3O7VaXs
https://share.google/9PCUTVWGFaxitzAjL
https://share.google/XocOvCthH00XsNvfj
https://youtu.be/8UJa5eznAuo?si=UvxahO0PVJT_7Jwn
https://share.google/8fpkpcXyhMmV4fQK9
https://share.google/7b6vZI7s86SAgGytf
https://share.google/iPmCUCU089UtMthEN
https://share.google/oRW4e2oP10MMaaCRG
https://youtu.be/6nKzziP2lxw?si=to4AR4fcomqh1CFA
https://youtu.be/q2eLOupmraQ?si=9JU1faz_uKiwD9ND
https://share.google/CnRGI1BkpkDlh6FMG
https://share.google/atYKrxVTCneMUobhk
https://share.google/dESG8OYW1nC30fQyC
https://share.google/c9DFDMEt4kWKdKDLa
https://share.google/D2G7PXXpXQHbZl3i9
https://share.google/wGSRWE3aX2VDve4LS
https://share.google/Oy7PSxI0WvnqSx7GF
https://share.google/MgNLc8AQ83Ib3bA4x
https://share.google/ZzmaeBsz9zaMsXvTX
https://share.google/mFhJIeaO1oCc8oTol
https://share.google/ZbkPVBMzQKwnc4Swq
https://share.google/HdRR8k1f3o7ylwfRv
https://share.google/7D1kb5iEQhOe437xz
https://pin.it/4xzSSGwlp
https://pin.it/3Sozeg7k8
https://pin.it/5cmgJKuNx
https://pin.it/xdHinnhD4
https://pin.it/tg1I6LbO3
https://share.google/Irw9jr5rSmA080MlY


.png)


.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
Comments
Post a Comment