21/04/2026 - 27/07/2026 / Week 1 - Week 15
Brenda Wynn / 0372128
Major Project 1 / Bachelors of Design (Hons) in Creative Media / Taylor's University
Project
JUMP LINKS
LECTURES
Week 1
Mr. Kannan briefed us on how the module will unfold and what we will be
doing throughout and by the end of the module.
Week 14
Mr. Kannan informed us on what is expected by the end of the module/in the
final presentation.
INSTRUCTIONS
<iframe
src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-RiRGD4RjZ730tDynzyWN-z_wfvO3BKr/preview"
width="640" height="480"></iframe>
PROJECT
During the first week, we were briefed on what we will be doing and creating
in the module and what was expected. After the class, we formed into groups
and made decisions on whether we want to continue this project individually
or in groups. I have decided to form a group of 2, so its me and my friend.
On this day, we have came up with and idea and decided to ask for some
feedback from Mr. Kannan.
First Idea= Good-To-Go Application
The application works similarly to Grab/FoodPanda, focusing mainly on food
delivery. The app allows small businesses to gain a platform and build
relationships with new customers. The app includes 2 different sections:
Delivery and Pick-up, depending on the businesses availability. We also
proposed having a specific page on the app dedicated to users that don’t
know what to eat. That specific page will implement a scrolling mechanic
showing the different short-form videos that home cooks are cooking and
selling.
Feedback:
- Be more specific when mentioning small businesses (exp= home-cooking);
- Do more research on target users;
- Identify a gap that allows the app to stand out from competitors;
- Analyze similar platforms like Grab/FoodPanda, including past failed applications;
- Explore different concepts in research to create new solid ideas.
After the feedback we decided to create a few other ideas and explore more.
These are the ideas we came up with:
- Continuing an application from another module;
- AR application to show how a robot will work in real-time;
- Reddit-like application for students;
- Kisah game to show how festivals in a country looks like;
- Immigration-like reference game (switching between calls).
We consulted these new ideas with Mr. Kannan and this is the feedback that
we got:
- The application ideas for the robot is not as ok as the other ideas;
- The Reddit-like application can work if developed well;
- The game will be hard to program or create with the given time;
- The purpose of the game is unclear.
By week 3, me and my friend decided that it would be better for us to work
individually and pursue our own ideas since our field of interest for this
module is different. Therefore, I decided to brainstorm new ideas to consult
with Mr. Kannan in week 3. These are the ideas I came up with:
1. First idea: Moment in Time
Focuses on the elderly with Alzheimer/dementia. Intends to assist the
family caregivers and slow down the Alzheimer's/dementia process by making
an application that can scan photos that causes a memory trigger and
letting AI prompt questions to have a conversation with the elderly.
2. Second idea: Roomies
An application that helps roommates settle financial affairs, avoid
conflict, and make their living together experience more enjoyable.
3. Third idea: Invisible Gem
An application that lets street vendors and home-based businesses promote
their service/product. Customers of those businesses can pinpoint their
location on the map and leave their review of the food. Each business will
get a sticker for their signature product.
4. Fourth idea: Covered
Allows students to help each other to strengthen the community. Students
can help by borrowing chargers, helping with heavy lifting, or sharing
information to juniors, etc. Students will gain assist points every time
they help someone and to the student that gains the most assist points by
the end of each month will get a 5rm voucher.
I consulted all of these ideas with Mr. Kannan and he advised me to ask Mr.
Razif too for his feedback. These are the feedbacks I got:
Mr. Kannan:
- The first idea could be explored more so more features can be added
- The first idea could be done in a website or application form
- A community can be added to the first idea
- The second, third idea, and fourth idea does not have too much potential
- Research can be done through papers, interviews, surveys, as long as the gap can be defined
- An overall idea has to have the specific gap it's covering and how it solves it.
- An idea has to be questioned whether it has been covered by an existing application or how it differs from similar existing applications.
Mr. Razif:
- The first idea is a bit small in scale and does not affect or do much
- More exploration is needed to expand the first idea
- More research has to be done.
On the following week, I have explored more and did some more research. I
have also gone through some ideas that would be much more concrete than the
others in the past week. These are the ideas I came up with:
Idea 1: Atla (Caregiver Assistant Application)
Application that assists caregivers by helping them translate medical
terms to common words, compressing daily logs to efficiently discuss it
with the doctor, organizing appointments, keeping track of patients diet,
helps read X-RAYs, and ability to highlight specific spots where patients
feel uncomfortable.
Idea 2: Neighbourhood Community Application
Allows a community to lend their appliances to others since there are
appliances where it is only needed to be used once. This can decrease
consumption, waste of material, and strengthen community bonds.
Idea 3: Expanding Mental-Health Game
Mental health game that allows users to cope and train their focus subtly.
On this week, I asked 3 of my supervisors for some feedback to gain a wider
perspective and see what I could change or develop. These are the feedbacks
I got:
Mr. Kannan:
- The first idea could be troublesome due to security issues. The doctor or the doctor’s institution might not allow their voices to be recorded during consultation and the patient will have a risk of their personal information being leaked.
- The second idea can be more expanded, but it’s a good foundation.
- The third idea is too narrative based.
Mr. Razif:
- The first idea can add a layer/new component for the doctor to consent to. If the doctor disagrees, the user will not be allowed to record their voice.
- The first idea can be more focused on a specific age group.
Ms. Noranis:
- The first idea could focus more on caregiver fatigue and how to make them not experience it.
Based on the feedback I got, I decided to focus on my firs idea which is
Atla the caregiving application. So, on the following week I created the
wireframe sketch.
- App Name: Atla
- Purpose: assist & help caregivers
- USP: helps transform a doctor’s use of medical terms into simpler words
- Home: schedule and logs
- Community: seeking help or advice from people that have experience tending towards the elderly
- Mic: helps transform doctors words into simpler terms (with consent)
- Calendar: to keep track of appointments and patient’s diet
- Profile: patient’s data
With this wireframe sketch, I asked Mr. Kannan about the idea. This is his
feedback:
- The unique selling point is not strong enough
- It is better to focus on a specific disease which can be developed and used by other diseases (ex: dementia, parkinson, cancer, etc)
On week 6, I decided to re-brand the Atla application into CamJam. This is
the wireframe sketch I created and the re-branding:
- App name: CamJam (represents both avatar names: Cameron & Jamie. The 2 avatars were intended to give the user a personification choice)
- Purpose: to assist caregivers that are tending to elderly with dementia
- GPS Tracker: to track lost elders
- Calendar: to track appointment
- s, etc
- Care Circle: for family members/close acquaintances to share their duty so the main caregiver can have a break
- Care Guide: to give guidance towards people that will help with caregiving
- Mic: for caregiver to rant/talk about their day when tending towards the elderly, which can automatically provide lists or logs
- Reminders: if the condition of the elderly looks concerning (backed-up by scientific papers)
- Profile: elderly identity and data
During this week, I asked Mr. Kannan for some feedback, and this is what
he shared:
- There needs to be a reason on why there are 2 avatars so the users are not confused, except if the avatar serves a different purpose
- Most of the features can be done by current AI softwares
- Develop the GPS tracker first and create a design in a smart watch form (this feature can be a USP)
By week 7, I have gone through a lot of ideas I decided to ask Mr.
Kannan whether it would be better for me to develop a website that I
intend to do in another module about endangered marine life. Mr. Kannan
shared that it is better to develop the initial caregiving app and not
waver. He also provided some feedback:
- The concept can be implemented in the module but it can’t be the same idea
- The purpose of the new idea is not clear and significant
- It is recommended if the initial idea did not change
- Focusing on developing and revising the current idea is much better.
On week 8, I decided to develop the caregiving app further. The first
thing I changed is the logo and app representative. I decided to create an
avatar called Cameron. I decided to do so after the feedback last time and
created Cameron in Illustrator as the representative of the app.
Results:
CAREFAM Presentation - Major Project 1
by Brenda W
Mr. Kannan's feedback:
- Don't greet the users with community posts that consists of long paragraphs in the community page;
- Develop and work with features that a smart watch already has.
After the presentation, I spent some time to developed the application. I also changed the lo-fi prototype according to the feedback I gotten and added new features.
Added & updated features:
- The community posts in the community page does not greet users with long paragraphs (Second picture, top left)
- The community page will receive a pop-up if a neighbour in a certain neighbourhood is missing (Beside smart watch interface, bottom left)
- If a user wants to help with the search, they can click on the button below “Create Post” (Second picture, bottom center)
- Allows user to fill out a form about the missing patient to help with the search (Last picture, bottom center)
- Added alert pop-up in the smart watch interface if a user has escaped or gone out of their house (Second picture, bottom left)
Feedback:
- The community posts can be global but the alerts has to only be in a certain area
- Find a way where the community page can allow the users to create a community
- Prevent making the alert notification and feature become annoying to users
- Put a limit on the amount of user that can help on the search since hundreds can join
- Do more research on the targeted users demographics to decide the focused smartphone brand (application only for Huawei/Samsung/Realme, etc)
- Add a reward system that is not gamified but engages and encourages users to use the app and help each other
- Could create a new accessible smart watch brand/design just for the sole purpose of the application
- Make the sound from the smart watch turn on from time to time not continuous
- Provide a button in the smart watch interface where users can click on to notify that the missing patient has been found
- Make sure the aesthetics of the application is not too professional so that the users don't feel too trapped in a care cage
By week 13, I realized that it would be better to re-brand again to better
align the logo with the purpose of the app. These are the sketches I
created:
- Explore more on how the logo can compliment each element (heart & people) and be careful with using the heart shape
- Compile more references into a mood board
- Set the brand type of your application to help with the logo and application creation process
After the feedback I decided to develop the logo further. I also did a
round of user testing and most of them said that it would be better to
change the logo to represent the app better. This is the final logo sketch
I decided on:
Mr. Kannan also said that it would be better that I create a brand type so
that it would be easier for me to develop the application and other
components regarding the application.
I also developed my low-fidelity prototype, added colors, and finalized the features after user testings.
FINAL PRESENTATION & RESULTS
FEEDBACK
Project Management Document
Week 15 (Final Presentation)
1. Validate app (does it answer the questions, if not how or what to
change)
2. Play more with the use of simple shapes and color palette
3. Lack engagement and hook for user
4. Improve AI interface
5. Create own AI
6. Refine current features
REFLECTION
During this module, I have gone through a lot of ideas. Most of them are not
as engaging or original. It was frustrating at first, knowing that all the
ideas I put out are not as good as I thought they were. However, because of
this I came to learn on how designers (my supervisors) think about a certain
idea in the long-run. Because of that I am very grateful that I get to
experience it, and it has widen my perspective in how I should approach
designing in the future. As for the process of developing the prototype, I
believe it was much easier after knowing that my idea is concrete and that I
have done enough research for me to believe on my own design/creation. I
have seen a few of my peers work, and I thought that our ideas are a
complete 180 degrees from each other. Which I actually like, because it kind
of shows how different people work including the different fields of
interest. Through this module, I have learnt a lot on how I should approach
designing in the future, I have also refined my skills on the proper steps
that I have to take to design for a certain audience group.
RESOURCES
https://share.google/X9oqd8HdKo2gOHht6
https://share.google/AWrCIUqt2bHf1xMJy
https://share.google/tBJ5KisBoKvDPtPL7
https://share.google/EEb2IDCGgYYpl7Ve4
https://share.google/zPFxrMIpPJnHSA1HG
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/9225-caregiver-burnout
https://pin.it/2yyMIcl3T
https://pin.it/5CtnbZitO
https://pin.it/6R4kdiy8O
https://pin.it/1jCpEEemm
https://pin.it/7MWJjPkLm
https://pin.it/6x2GhGjqD
https://pin.it/4f7LmOQ2g
https://pin.it/32ewE4iKh
https://pin.it/6KZPwKS6G
https://pin.it/SgPiLfF36
https://share.google/Lk10luVeTb09jIjpC
https://share.google/Oddss9oPAHqdD9ULl
https://share.google/N0Cq2YxC3DQFVHblT
https://pin.it/3UeHvazPA
https://pin.it/7wq93XYck
https://pin.it/CbgTnzwTi
https://pin.it/7FfpQL8yz
https://pin.it/7opbdolGI
https://pin.it/7opbdolGI
https://pin.it/3OUKPlCra
https://pin.it/5iILAG7R3
https://pin.it/2ubC3F9Cd
https://pin.it/1GdQcFkHs
https://pin.it/2KPKLpWFr
https://pin.it/4z3rnliqZ
https://pin.it/4airCPau9
https://pin.it/3iqLNNCqy
https://pin.it/7hob3nQp8
https://pin.it/2HmFgLsp7
https://pin.it/3OuY0BJKB
https://pin.it/2wiXZOL54
https://pin.it/5YV5qIxUf
https://pin.it/761YZ8zmw
https://pin.it/6jwRUxdls
https://share.google/UZp3zEnAmAiOGeZIa

Comments
Post a Comment